Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back to Menu Planning

I wasn't kidding before when I talked about what a CHORE menu planning is for me.  BUT, my lack of doing so in February hit me hard - in the wallet and in the weight department.  Yuck and double yuck!  So that being said, we are going back to the menu planning (sigh).

Today I made two huge batches of soup - a simple lentil soup that I totally made up and homemade creamy tomato soup...also made up but with inspiration from the ol' internet.  Both will be used to accommodate lunches for both myself and Big B during the week.  And I can't tell you how economical both turned out to be. 

Simple Lentil Soup
A drizzle of oil (your choice, but I use sunflower)
1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
Spices to taste (I chose - turmeric, cumin, celtic sea salt, black pepper, and Paul Prudhome's Magic Pepper Sauce)
1 Bag of Dried Lentils (cost no more than $1.25 at my grocery) - rinsed and picked over
Lots of Water (about 8 cups or so)

Heat oil in bottom of dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat; place onions in oil and move around the bottom of the pan until they turn translucent.  I like to add my seasonings to the onions, but you can add them once the water is in if that makes you happy :)  Once the onion is soft, add lentils and turn them around the pan a few times.  Then add the water and bring to a boil. Let boil a few minutes, turn it down, then simmer until the lentils are the consistency you like (I like them soft, but that is personal preference).  Once they were cooked the way I liked them, I took out about 1 1/2 cups, added them to the blender, gave them a couple of whirls, then added them back to the pot.  It gives the soup a consistency that I really like.  Cheap, easy, and healthy!! 

Now onto the dinners....
Monday - Bow Tie Pasta with Alfredo Sauce, Sauteed Green Beans
Tuesday - Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Wednesday - Baked White Fish, Lima Beans, Potatoes
Thursday - Good Ol' Fashioned Spaghetti, Broccoli
Friday - Oven Roasted Chicken, Cheesy Rice and Broccoli Bake

Cheers - hope you have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. LOL...Gar would be so happy if I made him tomato soup and then served the grilled cheese sandwich with it. Never made the soup before. He does the can thing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you stopped by...I look forward to reading your comments.